Two historic district markers were ordered by Restore Old Town Greenwood in the summer of 2021 using funds raised from the 2019 Historic Home Tour. We look forward to adding 2 new historic markers to Old Town which recognize the National Register Listed Residential Historic District and the National Register Listed Greenwood Commercial Historic District.
Existing markers for the James T. and Laura Polk Community House and the First Cabin in Greenwood. Photos from the Historical Marker Database.
The Old Town Greenwood Residential Historic District marker will read:
This historic district was added to the National Register in 2017. At that time, the district contained 354 structures, the oldest of which date to the 1870s. The district features a wide variety of architectural periods, including Gothic Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, Romanesque Revival, Colonial Revival, and Craftsman. The majority of the houses in the neighborhood were built between 1905 and 1925. The historic James and Laura Polk Memorial Community House at Madison Avenue and Broadway Street, a prominent contributing structure, was built to be the center of civic life in Greenwood and has anchored the neighborhood since 1920.
The Greenwood Commercial Historic District marker will read:
This historic district was added to the National Register in 1991. The twenty-nine buildings in this district were primarily constructed during the period of thriving commercial activity spurred by the advances of transportation from the mid-19th century to the early 20th century. The oldest building in the district still standing, 299 W. Main Street, was constructed in 1860. The district features a wide variety of architectural periods, including Italianate, Romanesque Revival, and Classical Revival. In 2016, several buildings in the district were rehabilitated, preserving and beautifying the heart of historic Greenwood.
Watch for a dedication ceremony to happen after the markers are installed with the help of the City of Greenwood in early 2022.